Cheese & Nut Beignets
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds (or pecans or walnuts)
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
Spread the nuts on a plate. Mix the cheese and the flour. With an electric mix, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold one quarter of the whites into the cheese mixture. Fold in the remaining whites. Add the hot sauce, salt and black pepper. Gently form the batter into 3/4-inch rounds. Coat completely with the nuts. Heat about two inches of oil in a deep fryer or heavy skillet to 360º F. Gently lower the rounds into the boil, several at a time, and fry until golden brown, about three minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve hot. Makes about 20.
There are no products matching the selection.