- 6 to 8 mirlitons, seeds removed and sliced like large French fries
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced like French fries
- 3 to 4 carrots, julienne
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 2-1/4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
In a large bowl, combine the mirlitons, onions, bell peppers, carrots and cauliflower. Cover with cool water and cubed ice. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain well.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large non-reactive pot and bring to a boil. Add the mirlitons, onions, bell peppers, carrots and cauliflower. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Arrange the vegetables in sterilized preserving jars, filling the jars with the liquid. Seal and store in a cool, dry place. Let stand for at least 6 days before using. Yield: about 6 quarts.