- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb hot bulk pork sausage
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups baking mix (Bisquick)
- ½ cup sliced jalapenos
- 1 6-ounce package pork-flavor Shake n Bake, optional
In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the sausage, cheddar cheese, half the Jack cheese and baking mix together. Work a biscuit-size piece of the sausage mixture into a patty about 1/4-inch thick. Place a pinch of Jack cheese and 2 slices of jalapeno peppers in the center and wrap/mold it around the filling. Seal well. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Roll the prepared “eggs” in Shake n Bake, if you like, to give the Armadillo Eggs a crispy crust. Bake in a preheated 325 degrees oven on a lightly greased baking sheet until browned, about 25 minutes.