- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 quart boiling water (or if you prefer a heartier soup 1 quart warm milk)
- 4 dozen freshly shucked oysters, drained and oyster liquor reserved
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves or 2 Tbsp ZATARAINS Parsley Flakes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the oil and the flour in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly, make a light brown roux. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Combine the water (or milk) with the reserved oyster liquor and add slowly to the roux mixture, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken slightly. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the oysters, parsley, and butter and simmer until the edges of the oysters curl. Remove from the heat. Serve warm with crackers or hot French bread. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
There are no products to list in this category.