- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs okra, washed under cool water, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (1-lb) cans whole tomatoes, crushed with their liquid
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Cajun Chef Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 cup water or chicken broth
Preheat the oven to 350º F degrees. Pour the oil into the bottom of a large roasting pot, not cast iron. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover the pot with a lid. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300º F. Continue baking, with the lid on, for one and half to two hours, or until the slime has disappeared. Bake, uncovered for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time. The time will vary according to the tenderness of the okra. Remove and cool completely before storing in freezer containers. This is excellent to serve as a side dish or to use as the base for okra gumbo. Makes 10 servings.
There are no products to list in this category.